Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Inspirations for my writing

One of the subplots is inspired by Shakespeare’s Macbeth, and several characters have names based on names from this play.

The main plot resembles, in character, a Thomas Hardy novel in terms of plot development, but not backdrop: Hardy emphasised the flora, the fauna, and sometimes the night sky in his novels, while I emphasise the weather.

For the nucleus of the story, around which I wrote the plot and various characters, I took as an inspiration a six word story that Ernest Hemingway supposedly wrote: “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.” I also composed other stories of the same length, and for the basic framework of the plot, I strung them together. I actually consider that story, supposedly by Hemingway, to be the kernel around which the novel developed.

Links

Shakespeare's Macbeth

Works by Thomas Hardy (on Wikisource)

Article on Ernest Hemingway and his apocryphal story, with numerous others.

No comments:

Post a Comment